Friday, December 31, 2010

A New Kind of Resolution

~Please enjoy a guest post from my Mother, Maryann Younger.~

Maggie and I were just talking about resolutions and New Years Resolutions to be specific. Why do people make them and more importantly, why do we feel the need to make them at the beginning of a new year? Statistics tell us that one third of all resolutions don't make it until the end of January and that 80% don't make it until the end of the year. So, what's the deal?

I suppose the end of a time period is always a good time for reflection, and the changing of one year to the next is certainly the most significant time period most of us mark on a regular basis, save those birthdays that end with a zero. I have to wonder, though, if it is the forced-ness of making a New Year's resolution that makes them fail sooner if not later. As a society, we are told collectively to reflect, to make changes, to resolve to be better. Or, perhaps that negative slant is why we don't end up keeping them. Lose weight, exercise more, pray more, spend time with our kids, give up smoking... all of the usual suspects assume there is something about us that needs fixing. Nothing quite like a cold and dark New Year's eve or day to sit down and think about all the things that we need to fix about ourselves. In some perverse way this might make us feel good and hopeful--that with the new year, we have a new chance, a new day to try again, this time to make it better or right or more meaningful than before.

I still wonder though, are we as a society really that unhappy? Overweight and out of shape? Unkind to others? Void of interactions with our children? Most folks I know are good at their core, whole and creative, even if there are parts that might be unsatisfied or broken and in need of repair. But, then again, I may choose to see that hopeful side of people.

Can we do better? Of course. Can I find some new habits to make me healthier? Most certainly. I just don't think that January first needs to be the day to start fixing myself. Maybe if we all made our resolutions on a day that is more meaningful to each of us we might have a better chance of keeping them.

Or, I have an even better idea. Tonight or tomorrow, let's make a list of all the things we loved about this past year. What we've learned, what moments of joy we've experienced and for me, a list of where I have seen God's hand at work. Perhaps if we dwell on those things, we will realize that this path we are on is a good one, even with its twists and turns, its unknown outcomes, and its uncertainties.

Dear friends and family, I'm happy that your path is paralleling mine and thank you for being part of my life. I resolve to never forget that this coming year.

Happy New Year.

-Maryann Younger

1 comment:

  1. You've offered some real food for thought here (and why is it I think of food when I think of your family?!). I've actually begun action on various resolutions on an unlikely date (such as December 31)just for the reason you mention.

    Thanks for posting! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete